Ever been to La Madeline? It’s one of my absolute favorite cafes. From the elegant and appetizing dishes to the quaint French decorations, it would be impossible to find something to dislike about it. I could probably create hundreds of recipes, inspired and adopted solely from La Madeline. Actually, I would gladly drop out of school and devote an entire year to do that. Too bad that isn’t one of my most realistic dreams. Anyways, I’m completely in love with their quiches. They all somehow have this perfect balance between a fluffy body, mouth-watering filling, and melted cheese on top.
If I could, I would probably have five of their quiches a day, but something tells me that isn’t the healthiest idea. So what’s my solution? Create my own healthy quiche of course! I lightened it up by making it crustless, using fat free milk, and sticking to vegetables for the filling.
Onion and Tomato Crustless Quiche
½ cup fat free milk
3 egg whites
half of a tomato, chopped
half of an onion, sliced
¼ cup dill, chopped
1.5 tablespoons chives, chopped
1 mozzarella stick, chopped
pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the fat free milk, egg whites, egg, chives, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Add cooking spray to a pan, wait for it to heat up, and sauté the onions for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and dill to the pan and cook for about 4 minutes.
5. Slightly grease a muffin pan with cooking spray, evenly fill the individual muffin cups with the cooked vegetables, and pour in the liquid mixture from your bowl on top.
6. Sprinkle the chopped mozzarella on top of each quiche.
7. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before eating.
Nutrition: Servings: 5 three-inch quiches, Serving Size: 1 quiche, Calories 54, Total Fat 2g, Cholesterol 36mg, Sodium 93.4mg, Carbs 3g, Protein 6.7g
At 54 calories per quiche, I wouldn’t even feel guilty about eating all five! The quiches were really light and tasted delicious on their own, even though I’m thinking about using them as side-dishes for my dinners as well!
Hope everyone has been having a wonderful week- it’s almost friday!