To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of mushrooms. I usually find them to be either overly slimy or lacking in taste. But because I know that they’re a huge deal for those who actually have a seasoned palette (and for the French), I decided to give them another chance. Lasagna is one of my favorite meals and when I found the recipe for a healthy mushroom-filled lasagna roll in my cookbook, I couldn’t stop myself from jumping straight to making the dish.
Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna Rolls
Adapted from Cooking Light’s Lasagna Rolls with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Ingredients for Lasagna
4 whole wheat lasagna noodles
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
3 ounces baby spinach, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh red bell pepper, chopped
Ingredients for Sauce
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 fresh tomato, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1. Cook the lasagna noodles without adding any salt to the water.
2. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and saute the chopped 1/2 red bell pepper on medium-to-low heat for 8-10 minutes.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a seperate skillet. Saute the mushrooms, onion, spinach and minced garlic for 8-10 minutes on medium-heat.
4. Mix together the part-skim ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon chopped red pepper.
5. Add the sauted mushroom mixture to the cheese mixture.
5. Place all the ingredients for the sauce (including the sauted red pepper) in a blender and mix until smooth, about 20 seconds.
6. Place 1.5 tablespoons of the cheese mixture on each noodle and roll it up. Place the filled noodles in a bowl and pour the blended sauce on top.
7. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes.
Nutrition: Servings: 4 lasagna rolls, Serving Size: 2 lasagna rolls, Calories 393, Total Fat 11.7g, Sodium 924mg, Carbs 58.3g, Fiber: 5.9g, Protein 19.3g
For someone who has been avidly avoiding mushrooms her entire life, it’s pretty amazing to admit how much I loved this dish. The zesty pepper sauce and creamy cheese filling worked perfectly together and even received several did-you-really-make-this-yourself looks from my family.
After successfully tackling this recipe, it’s safe to say that mushrooms are back on the table! Expect to see a lot more of them in the future!